water and food insecurity are not caused by overpopulation but the corporate stranglehold on science, agriculture and natural resources. overpopulation is also almost always used to solely talk about the responsibility of people who aren’t “like us” to stop having children.
1:02 pm • 1 September 2014 • 2,642 notes
The “urban heat island” effect (where urban areas are far hotter than their surroundings) probably affects the place you live, and is only going to get worse from climate change.
Climate Central has the facts on how the heat island affects the major cities in the U.S., like New York — 20 degrees hotter than its subarbs!
8:29 pm • 30 August 2014 • 632 notes
THIS ONE TIME A KID IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD WAS LATE GETTING HOME BECAUSE HE WAS BUYING DRUGS SO HE TOLD HIS MOM HE GOT KIDNAPPED AND SHE MADE HIM REPORT IT TO THE POLICE AND HE DESCRIBED THE KIDNAPPER AS COUNT OLAF AND THEN THIS HAPPENED
6:24 pm • 20 August 2014 • 465,709 notes
This is the incident report that the Ferguson police just produce. Now if you don’t know, this morning they FINALLY named the killer of Michael Brown as Darren Wilson. Along with naming Darren as the killer, the Ferguson police are now trying to link Michael Brown with a robbery that happened supposedly MOMENTS before.
Michael was killed at 12:01 and this robbery was at 11:54.
There are so many questions.
- We’ve seen the surveillance photos they’ve produced that shows someone who looks like Michael being aggressive with a store owner over an apparent box of swishers. (If you don’t know, Swishers are cigar papers you can pick up for like…2 for .50.
- They are saying that Officer Darren Wilson was responding to that robbery.
- They are calling it an STRONG ARMED ROBBERY
- A strong armed robbery is using, involving, or threatening the use of physical force or violence to gain an objective:
- Okay, got that bullshit out of the way
- The dispatch tapes that were released mention NOTHING ABOUT A ROBBERY.
- NOT ONE WORD
- THE ONLY THING MENTIONED WAS A SHOOTING AND REQUEST FOR CROWD CONTROL.
- THAT’S IT
- So how did Officer Wilson FIND OUT about the robbery?
- They’ve now listed Dorian Johnson (THE ONLY OTHER EYEWITNESS WHO WAS THERE) as the second accomplice to the robbery.
- The same Dorian Johnson who has been trying (in vain) to talk with the Ferguson Police Department about Michael’s Death since LAST SATURDAY.
- So this man who is this SECOND SUSPECT IN A ROBBERY CASE IS PLEADING WITH YOU AND IS ALL OVER NATIONAL NEWS AND YOU ARE REFUSING TO SEE HIM. BUT HE’S A SUSPECT IN A ROBBERY. OKAY
- When Officer Wilson sees both Michael and Dorian his initial reaction was "GET THE FUCK ON THE SIDEWALK."
- Not any kind of reaction dealing with them being robbery suspects.
- From some of the pictures (I’m not going to post them due to the family’s wishes) if you compare the footage from the store and the footage from Michael’s death, he’s swapped from Nike sandals to Sneakers. This red hat cannot be found (this is speculation).
- If the reason Office Wilson approached them was because they were suspects in an robbery WHY DIDN’T HE CALL IT IN? WHY DIDN’T HE FOLLOW PROCEDURE? WHY WOULD HE ROLL UP ON ROBBERY SUSPECTS IN HIS VEHICLE? WHY DID IT TAKE 6 DAYS FOR THIS TO BE ANNOUNCED?
I implore you. IMPLORE YOU to take a look into the presented facts of the case. This is just an incident report, we do not have access to the investigative report. There has been no reports presented of Michael’s autopsy and this report is contradictory of the second eye witnesses report.
None of this makes sense.
They are putting Michael on trial to dehumanize him, villify him, to make him less human to justify his murder.
And at the end of the day, LET’S JUST SAY MICHAEL DID DO THIS…is petty theft (it was like 5 swisher sweets they say. That’s a two dollars and fifty sense) IS HIS MURDER, HIS EXECUTION, THIS UNARMED SURRENDING TEENAGE BOY, justified by this?
This is murder. Don’t let them put Michael on trial for HIS DEATH.
1:47 pm • 15 August 2014 • 86,597 notes
Protect yourself from teargas. Palestinians send solidarity and advice to peaceful demonstrations facing police crackdown in Ferguson.
1:55 am • 14 August 2014 • 47,634 notes
Stop saying that feminism is about equality. Stop trying to satiate male egos and cater to their comforts when they’re more interested in niceties from those who are crushed under the weight of a system of violence and exploitation they benefit from, who’d rather hear that their position as the top, the more worthy isn’t compromised, though it means the inherent degradation of women.
Stop trying to advantageously indoctrinate yourself into a mechanism of politics that means continued suffering of other women. Terms like “equality” is how you have women congratulating each other for finally being in the front ranks of a military responsible for continued genocidal siege and turmoil of defenseless peoples all around the world. Being “equal” to men, by the current definition of what men are supposed and expected to embody is not about liberation, its about individualization of acts, the deliberate betrayal of the very core of feminist politics, the abandonment of a communal confrontation of patriarchy, but rather a negotiation of it that allows some of us the ability of assimilation. Instead of saying “we desire to be like men” and “this is about equality” ask yourself “with the destruction of patriarchy, what are men? How will they embody such a role if there is none ascribed to them? And how can we be equal to them if they have no cohesive definition?”
No type of liberation politics can exist with the celebration of singular advances while the system remains the same, ultimately, that’s how such a system can flourish. By allowing to believe it doesn’t exist. Blatant patriarchy is easier to demolish, it makes no mistake of its ravaging of women, more insidious patriarchy however, the type that allows certain women to enter its realm is trickier, because the nature of rigid gender dynamics becomes less visible and more disheveled and respectability standards began to ask “if she made it? Why not you?”
When you ask for equality, instead of a complete dismantlement of the system in which we’d even have to be “equal” these are the questions that begin to exist.
3:07 pm • 13 August 2014 • 4,446 notes
CNN finally reporting some real info! #ferguson #ripmikebrown #justiceformikebrown #justiceformike
Oh my God….they did it
Look how staggering these statistics are. Racism in institutional; there are many actors involved in keeping it up. One of the highest roles is filled by cops. It’s no coincidence that black communities tend to have all white precincts. The data is here. Numbers don’t lie right?
9:00 pm • 12 August 2014 • 37,490 notes
Carrie Mae Weems, You Became a Scientific Profile (top), An Anthropological Debate (middle), and And I Cried (bottom) from From Here I Saw What Happened and I Cried, 1995–96. Collection of The Museum of Modern Art, New York. Copyright Carrie Mae Weems.
9:49 pm • 11 August 2014 • 8,520 notes
5:25 pm • 8 August 2014 • 119,976 notes